Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Story of The Functional Table and Chairs

When Rhett and I first got married we were given this awesome table and chairs.

Yeah, I know it's not the most beautiful table and chairs but I was just so grateful to have anything and what they were lacking in style they definitely had in function.  So I did what I could to try to make them blend in a bit better.

(My color scheme looks very 1990's to me with the forest green and mauve haha!)

After having this look for a few years I was so ready for a change.  Some sanding blocks, a bucket of primer, and paint, this is what I ended up with!

(excuse the cute little girl trying to pour her own glass of milk, it was the only picture I had of the finished project)

The table and chairs looked so much better than what I started with, but I definitely ran out of steam with this project.  There were so many nooks and crannies in those chairs. They took foooreeevverrr to paint and the latex paint wasn't adhering very well to the metal legs and and plastic backs of the chairs.  I feel like a dummy that it didn't dawn on me that spray painting them would have been so much easier.  They ended up peeling and chipped everywhere too. I did love the new fabric I put on the seats though.... for about a week.  Having two little ones and trying to keep that fabric clean was miserable.  So when we decided to move in to Rhett's Mom's house while we were building our house, the very functional but not so beautiful table and chairs were taken to the D.I.

This was my first adventure in furniture re-do's, but definitely not my last.  I have done much more research on proper painting protocols so hopefully my next project doesn't turn out so bad.  But for now my huge ongoing project will be to get my house built! :)

1 comment: