Tuesday, April 2, 2013

From Boring to Beautiful

I wonder why they don't install thermostats in more inconspicuous places.  You know, like in a closet, or even next to a outlet or light switch.  But no, mine is smack dab in the middle of my hallway.  I'm sure there are good reasons to put them in such obvious places, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not pretty and well... an eyesore.  So what can you do, except ignore that ugly eye sore unless you need it?  

Make it pretty!


I found this cute frame from where else then a thrift store for two bucks!  Here it is in it's original glory.


Bye bye creepy owl picture!  

All I did was pop out the maniacal owl picture and glass, then spray painted the frame with Rust-Oleum's heirloom white in satin.  It is the perfect creamy white color.  In only two light and even coats it covered the brassy and black frame completely, which was awesome.



Then, I decided I wanted the frame easily removable so that I can easily take it off if I need to mess with the thermostat.  The problem was that I didn't have anywhere to nail in a picture hook because the frame is plastic.  So I ran to Lowe's and picked up the 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips.  I had never used these, but they seemed to fit the bill for what I needed.  I LOVE these.  Seriously.  I never want to nail a hole in my wall again!



These could really come in handy with what I want to do with this hallway...


I would love to do a beautiful, interesting gallery hallway. Like this one at Young House Love:

{Image Via: Young House Love}


Or this one from 4 Men 1 Lady:

{Image Via: 4Men1Lady}

I love the interest that both of these bring to an otherwise uninteresting space.  In the meantime though, I'm just happy to have dressed up my thermostat...
I never knew that sentence would come out of my mouth! haha!





1 comment: